Stanley High School, as a sponsored academy within the Southport Learning Trust, has a Local Governing Body (LGB).
The focus of the LGB will be on monitoring standards and local governance issues, as well as holding the academy leadership to account. The LGB will meet monthly throughout the academic year.
The LGB Chair will also be a Member Trustee and sit on the Board of Trustees / Directors to ensure representation of Stanley High School on the Board.
As part of a multi-academy trust, the governance is shared between the Trust board and the LGB of each school.
The role of the Stanley High School LGB is to ensure our school is supportive of all children, and especially those most in need of assistance, such as disadvantaged children or those with special educational needs or disability (SEND). These are the main responsibilities that are delegated to the LGB:
Appointments and Training
- Appoint the Chair and Vice-Chair.
- Appoint a designated Child Protection and Safeguarding Governor.
- Appoint link governors in support of the priorities of the school.
- Governors are required to attend all relevant training, such as safeguarding.
- Governors are encouraged to research and read the latest developments in education to ensure high quality governance.
Strategic Direction and Supporting Plans and Policies
- Agree strategic principles (working with the Senior Leadership team) and ensure these principles are reflected in the Headteacher objectives and operational plans.
- Approve the school development plan, ensuring there is focus on disadvantaged and SEND children.
- Approve the school curriculum plan.
- Approve the school budget.
- Approve school-specific policies, and endorse policies supplied by the Trust.
Support and Challenge
- Support and challenge the Headteacher and Senior Leadership Team on progress and outcomes.
- Maintain close attention on foundational areas such as attendance and behaviour.
- Link governors and Assistant Headteachers will scrutinise the priority areas.
- Review progress against School Development Plan using internal and external data.
- Review performance against the agreed school budget, and the effectiveness of spending against specific areas such as disadvantaged and SEND.
- Ensure the school complies with Child Protection and Safeguarding legislation and procedures.
- Monitor health and safety of premises, including effectiveness of supporting policies.
- Monitor and review compliance to all policies including using exception reporting.
- Be available to support operational items, such as the review of a permanent exclusion.
The structure of the Stanley High School LGB will be:
- Head of academy
- Two parent governors
- Two staff governors
- Six co-opted governors
One of the parent or co-opted governors will be elected chair, and that individual will be a member of the MAT board.
Governors will be selected via an application process to ensure commitment and skills leading to high performance. In the first instance, the NGA Skills Audit will be used to assess the current governing board in relation to the competency framework.
An application process for any vacant positions will be in place and managed by the Clerk to the Governors.
The Chair of Governors is Ms Ruth Williams
The Clerk to Governors is Ms Anja Gouldbourne
If you have any queries concerning the school or your child please contact Ms Gouldbourne, in writing, or e-mail [email protected]